Sungai Lembing is a small town in Kuantan District, Pahang, Malaysia. The town began in 1900s as tin-mining community when British-based Pahang Consolidated Company Limited (PCCL) setting up the tin mining industry after mining activity begins in 1886.
The tin mining area was the largest and deepest tin mining area in the world during that time, where the tunnel spans around 322 kilometres with the depth between 610 metres and 700 metres. The mining activity begins in 1886 by Pahang Consolidated Company Limited (PCCL) which were headquartered in London and had hired approximately 1,500 miners to mine tin. During its peak, the mine was operated by 5,000 workers who produced 4,000 tons of tin annually. In 1926, Sungai Lembing suffers from flood which damages 14.5 kilometres of railway track, a hospital and 250 homes and the mining operation were suspended for three months.
The operation were soon affected by great depression where production quota were imposed on the tin production. It was then followed by Japanese occupation of Malaya where many mining equipment were destroyed and European personnel fled the scene. During the postwar period, the tin production were once again affected by Malayan Emergency.In 1979, Pahang Consolidated Company Limited (PCCL) has transferred the ownership of the company from Britain to Malaysian, and hence renamed the company to Pahang Consolidated Public Limited Company (PCPLC). However, as worldwide demand for the tin declined in addition to the falling prices of tin worldwide, hence the mine was temporary shut down in 1986.
The closure of mines has caused around 800 miners to become unemployed as the company enters receivership after financial losses. As no parties are interested in taking over the mining activity, the mine was permanently closed on 1987 by Pahang government.In December 1988, two years after mine was closed, there are proposals that are made to revive the town and redevelop into tourist attraction area. One suggestion is that the former mining general’s bungalow will be converted into either resthouse or museum, which latter converted into known as Sungai Lembing Museum in 2001.
Secondly, around 30 former worker’s quarters will be converted into chalets.Among the notable tourist attraction in this area are Sungai Lembing Museum and mining tunnel which were known for the tin mining history; crystal museum dedicated to crystals; natural attraction including hot spring, Panorama Hill and Rainbow Waterfall; place of worship including Gua Charas where the Buddhist and Hindu temple were located inside the cave. So what are you waiting for? Lets travel with us. Contact us at Histourism – History & Tourism